1651

A survey of Radholme park was undertaken in 1651 as during the period of the Commonwealth all the land which had belonged to the monarch was prepared for sale. The survey recorded the size, condition and use of the park at that time and gives us a really clear picture of how the park was beginning to change from being a functioning deer park to a farmed landscape. By 1651 there were already several tenants including William Swinglehurst, Reginald Parker and William Knipe. The park was sold to James Halliday and Phillip Hill of St Giles in the Fields, London, in 1652.

Click on map for a larger view.

  • First page of the detailed survey of 1651© reproduced by kind permission of The National Archives (TNA E 317 Yorks 49).  Ref: LRO DDB 74/36 © Lancashire Archives and Robert Parker.